Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Day Two

Describe something that you have learned.
One of my earliest memories of learning something was how to ride a bike.
How did that process occur?
This was a tough process that took lots of practice. The first step in learning how to ride a bike is simply riding a bike with training wheels. I did this with the help of my dad and brother and eventually I was able to ride a training wheel bike on my own. The next step was to learn how to ride the bike without training wheels. My older brother already knew how to ride a bike without training wheels so I watched him all the time and was eager to put this into my own practice. Through observation I was able to begin to understand how to get started on a two wheel bike. This was a real frustrating part of learning because it was all new to me. The bike with training wheels was easier because there was support there, and as a child dong something on your own is a big accomplishment.
The summer I learned how to ride a bike I was out in my circle almost everyday practicing my balance. I started by balancing on a soft surface such as the grass, and than began to pedal on the grass. If I feel, I got discouraged but my dad and brother were there to help me get back on my feet. My brother and dad would sometimes leave me out there alone to practice. There was some days I didn't even want to go into dinner because I was so eager to learn how to ride a bike.
After many days of practicing on the grass my dad took me out to a flat surface in a parking lot where he held me on my bike. Having him there for support was comforting. Finally, I thought I was ready so said "Let go! I can do this!" When my dad let get I pedaled off onto the concrete pavement all on my own. I was finally biking for my first time.

My process of learning how to ride a bike included support and practice from the people I love. It occurred over a period of time and in the end I had a feeling of accomplishment. The learning process, in any circumstance, requires support from our peers.

No comments:

Post a Comment